Ep. 97 – Social Security Strategies
What questions do you have about social security? It is important to keep in mind that professionals at social security are instructed not to give you any form of advice.
There are many factors to be considered when applying for social security for your retirement whether you want to do it before or after 70 years. These factors include age, sources of income, spousal benefits, and much more.
In this episode of the Secure Your Retirement podcast, we have Heather Schreiber, she’s a Retirement Income Certified Professional with 25 years of experience. She consults with and educates financial, tax and legal professionals using a holistic approach to retirement income planning.
Listen in to learn how to approach applying for social security and why you need a professional to help you navigate it.
In this episode, find out:
- Factors that come into play when considering taking social security before or after 70.
- Understanding that your social security is likely going to be your pension.
- How sources of income affect different individuals when claiming social security early.
- The benefits of a restricted application strategy and who can apply for it.
- Understanding how the spousal benefits work and their starting point.
- The importance of having someone help you navigate the social security aspect.
- How retirement benefits for a dead spouse work and how to approach the process.
- When and why a divorced spouse can file for spousal benefits from that relationship.
- The different ways you can approach the social security application process.
- “The starting point is always regardless of when that higher wage earner files, fifty percent of the primary insurance amount.”– Heather Schreiber
- “Delayed retirement benefits earned by the higher-earning spouse are inherited by the surviving spouse.”– Heather Schreiber
If you are in or nearing retirement and you want to gain clarity on what questions you should be asking, learn what the biggest retirement myths are, and identify what you can do to achieve peace of mind for your retirement, get started today by requesting our complimentary video course, Four Steps to Secure Your Retirement!
To access the course, simply visit POMWealth.net/podcast.
To receive our free book, Get Off the Retirement Rollercoaster, leave a 5-star rating review on Apple Podcasts and send a screenshot to email@example.com.