Retirement Financial Plan
Retirement planning has a lot of moving parts, and if you’ve been reading our blog or listen to our podcast (listen here), you know that we’re big on creating a holistic retirement financial plan.
We believe that you should have a retirement plan that is well-put-together and really hits on all of your goals.
How can you create this plan?
With a team.
We’re going to help you start to secure your retirement with a quick overview of what your retirement financial plan team should look like.
Retirement is a Lot Different than Most People Realize
A lot of people think about their retirement briefly while they put money into their 401(k) plans, and a lot of people know when they want to retire and take social security. But when you sit down and get closer to retirement, you’ll realize that there are a lot of moving parts to consider.
Retirement is more than just putting money away, although money plays a big role in retirement.
And when you begin doing your research, you’ll find a lot of advisors to choose from, which can make your head spin. We’re going to discuss the key people that should be involved in your life and can help you retire the way that you want.
Advisors to Hire and Work with to Secure Your Retirement
Advisors help you go well beyond just a 401(k) and saving money. These professionals will assist you with investing your money in many cases. For example, you may have an advisor that works with your employer and will:
- Assist with asset allocation
- Invest for you
- Offer a quarterly report
- Provide yearly statements
These advisors work with money management, but they fail to look at the whole of your retirement.
We take a holistic approach to retirement. For example, you’ve received a paycheck from an employer, and now that you’ve saved money to retire, it’s time to pay yourself. You have access to this money at any time, but if you’re spending way beyond your means, your retirement buckets can quickly dry up.
An advisor that works to invest your money only isn’t considering how you’ll pay yourself.
You’ve saved and grew your money, and that’s where a lot of advisors stop. They don’t consider how you’ll manage your money after retirement, nor will they continue checking up to understand your goals. As your goals change, your asset allocation should also change.
Money managers grow and build money; not plan for when you want to retire.
Your money manager won’t consider:
- Taxes, as much of your investments are pre-tax
- Paying yourself
- The age you want to retire
- Medicaid and health insurance
- Life insurance options
Holistic advisors tend to look at your retirement plan as a whole. There’s a lot to consider, so these individuals will discuss your retirement desires with you and help make retirement possible.
Types of Advisors to Work With
You may work with a variety of advisors, including:
- Money manager or financial adviser. These professionals will be focused on investing and growing your money.
- Tax advisor. A tax advisor is key because they’ll help you find innovative ways to shelter a lot of the money that you save for retirement so that you don’t have to pay it in taxes. Imagine needing $1 million to retire and not realizing that you owe $250,000 in taxes.
- Estate planner. An estate planner will help you with ensuring that all of your documents are in order so that if you become incapacitated or want to leave assets to children or family members, you can.
- Social security specialists. These individuals will help you determine the best time to apply for social security. They’ll also assist you with maximizing your payments by retiring later.
- Insurance experts. An insurance expert can help you obtain the best life insurance or health insurance just in case you or a spouse pass on.
No one is a master of all aspects of retirement, but with the right team, it’s possible to bring the collective knowledge of these professionals together in one place.
Working With a Holistic Team
A holistic team, like us, will help with all aspects of your retirement. We always start with your retirement plan, which is an extensive plan that looks at your retirement goals, needs, and the “what ifs” that pop up before and during retirement.
Comprehensive plans can and should be updated annually, and they’re a clear roadmap to your retirement.
Once we have this plan in place, you can sleep better at night. You’ll know what it takes to retire and can follow a roadmap to success.
And since we’re a holistic advisor, we bring in:
- Tax advisors
- Social security specialists
- Other advisors
Your team must look at your goals, and how they change, so that you can confidently enter retirement. Working on just investing your money isn’t enough to retire. Bringing together the right team that offers a holistic approach will look beyond your investment portfolio and really bring everything together, from social security, to tax considerations and so much more.
Click here to sign up for our 3 Keys To Secure Your Retirement complimentary training.